Friday, January 18, 2013

Back on Track

At long, long last, I think I'm back on track with Mier. Moments ago, I sent off the first six chapters for the critique I won (six months ago >.>) in an auction. I hope that whatever I get back will make the chapters (and the novel) that much stronger. In the mean time, I'm more engaged than ever in revision and new writing.

Happy times writing always seem to go hand in hand with happy times reading, and January has been no exception. Even though I found Origin lacking, I'm not sorry I read it. And the book that came next was completely delightful. Number two in the fifty book challenge...

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. (4 stars)

From the moment I started it, I was engaged in the characters' lives...thrilled and disgusted by their flaws, curious where their bad intentions would lead, giddy whenever I saw a glimpse of a Potter character, and impressed how rare those glimpses were. By the time I finished, I felt like I'd read all about Little Whinging. (In a good way.) Not a lot to complain about. A few things kept it from earning the coveted "5th start of amazingness" - mostly, the fact even as I read and enjoyed I knew I'd probably never feel like rereading it. I also felt strange about the perspective in a few places. Still, super enjoyable.

I've since moved on to Mistborn, figuring I should probably read something by Brandon Sanderson since I've taken so much of his writing advice to heart. So far, so good. He's definitely not competing with George Martin in my heart yet, but I like a lot of things about the story. We'll see how he wraps it up...

Anyway, lots to work on now! I'll check back when there's more to say.

Til next time,
-- Meg 


2013 Reads:
1. Origin by Jessica Khoury. (2 stars)
2. The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling (4 stars)
3. Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (in progress)

No comments:

Post a Comment