Thursday, March 27, 2014

Oh, wow. It's been over a year.

I can only think of cliche things to say about how many times I thought about blogging and didn't in the past year. I didn't realize it had ACTUALLY been over a year. But here I am...and so much has changed that it's almost funny. At least I can update in quick little summary form. (I definitely don't have a year of blogging in me tonight.)

Things that have happened since I wrote here last:

1. I join roller derby. (WHAT?) Yes. I joined roller derby. Skating. Lots of women banging into one another. Lots of badassery. It's already  been through highs and lows: the will-I-ever-be-good-enough-to-play phase. The part where I made the B-team. The part where I've skated three bouts and our team won them all. I love derby, and it sucks up more of my free time than I even have. It sucks up unfree time. It sucks up EVERYTHING. But it's usually worth it.

2. The writing is going fantastically. Or at least, I hope it is. It feels like it is. I have three of four sections through my writing group, and every single time someone leaves a comment on my page that begins with the p-word, I squee, and daydream, and have to remind myself how very far I am from the p-word, even if what I have is good, and even if people like it. I have twelve more chapters to throw at the group...and then revisions to do...and beta readers to pin down...and more revisions. I've reset the bar before, but I feel like this is it. The next time I see snow (stupid SPRING snow exempt), I think I could be ready to return to my way-premature list of favorite agents and play the query game.

2.5 The last update talks about the 50 page critique I won. Well, the agent kind of disappeared off the face of the Earth and never answered my emails...nor did the people to whom I forked over a few hundred dollars for the charity auction. That sucked. Kind of a lot. BUT, it did mean those chapters were packaged and ready to fly at the next opportunity...which just came. It was only 10 pages this time, only the very first chapter, but as we speak it's in the hands of a published author with serious editing chops. I cannot wait to see what she rips into. I hope it helps. I know how important the chapter will be.

3. We got a puppy. Half the time I wonder what the actual eff I was thinking. Half the time her little golden face is the softest thing in the world and she just lurves me to death. Of course we named her Nymeria.

4. I taught briefly. Did I ever mention that? It probably doesn't matter. This is the only real dark spot. And I guess it was a big one. Once upon a time, I had a starry-eyed notion that I could be a great instructor at a crappy college while I figured out what I wanted to do with my degree. It went okay for a semester. Then I got PSEOP students in droves...some of whom could barely read or write at a high school level. A bit of academic dishonesty, a few WELL-earned fails, and a couple phone calls from parents who didn't really understand the concept of "college" later and... I found out what people mean when they call community colleges degree mills. The precious snowflakes "passed" their intro composition courses. They're off to fall flat on their faces at four-year schools now. I thought about looking for an adjunct position at a better school...one where the dean would side with the instructor who spent four hours compiling a 30+ page PDF containing proof of academic dishonesty over an angry parent who pays to keep the lights on. But the whole thing left such a sour taste in my mouth that I'm not sure I could. At least not yet. So back to stay-at-home motherhood for now.

5. In happier and most recent news, I not only played an MMO RPG successfully for more than fifteen frustrating minutes of keyboard-cursing...I joined a guild and am preparing for launch this Sunday. 0.o If I don't update for another year, fish for me at the bottom of Elder Scrolls Online. I'll be the wood elf strumming the lute, still complaining that "bard" isn't a playable class. (@PoisonedEro on Twitter, if you want to see the train wreck in n00b tweets.)

6. Books. Ones that I read. I would try to recap and make a list, but there have been so many...and since I finished one just a couple hours ago, it's taken over my entire brain and I can't get any of the others in. (Even Pride & Prejudice and I read that right before it. SO good. Still.) Anyway, the book is Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I would say you MUST read it, but I'm not sure that's true because I don't know who you are. I know that if there was ever a person alive who MUST read it, it was me. I cried like a total crazy person for pages at a time where almost nothing immediately relevant to the plot was happening. I didn't even care about the plot. All I could think about was my first quarter at OU, and writing Harry Potter fanfics and RPs, and being awkward. And writing now. And struggling to make the jump between using others' characters and worlds and making my own. If any of that sounds like you, read the book and bring tissues. Even if it doesn't, I think it would still be great.

All the gods, what a full year. I'm probably leaving out huge headliner stuff. If so, I'll try to sneak it in later. I'll try to come back before 15 more months have gone by, too.

Thanks for reading, whoever you are.

Til next time,
-- Meg (and Venom, and Ero)


No comments:

Post a Comment